środa, 11 listopada 2015

Swearing - BBC.com - The Brits and the Americans swear in different languages



VOCABULARY:

banter - The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks (also as a V).

 John must have a thing for Mary - whenever they meet, he can't help bantering with her.

Our kids are playful and they like a good banter - we often burst out laughing when we hear them teasing one another.

puritanical streak - the element of a very strict or censorious moral attitude towards self-indulgence

American culture is often associated with flashy images and moral indulgence, so many people are surprised to discover a puritanical streak in its society. 

 Karen's family reguralry attends masses and never takes part in revelries, but their friends say that behing this puritanical streak, they are friendly, fun-loving people. 

coarseness - the quality of being rough and harsh; vulgarity, rudeness; coarse language - vulgar language
The coarsness of my hair gives my much trouble, especially in the morning - they don't give up to styling.

A true gentleman should, by any means, avoid using coarse language.

expletive - a swear word 
When I heard him producing a stream of expletives, I knew that the situation made him very angry. 

Stop with these expletives of yours! I won't put up with this kind of language!

to lay into sth  - to attack, consume, or scold someone or something 

I was so hungry that I laid into a plate of chicken nuggets as soon as I entered the kitchen.

My sister laid into me for using her precious make-up foundation. 



[definitions: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ ] 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz